Several funded PhD/MSc students positions are available. I’m looking for the brightest students to join my group at McGill working in the area of compilation, parallel language abstractions and hardware design, applied to, or using Machine learning. McGill has quite a diverse student community and particularly welcomes applications from under-represented groups (e.g. women, Indigenous people, members of visible minorities).
You can find below some examples of research topics of interests. But in general, if you have an interest in doing research in compilation and/or hardware design, do not hesitate to contact me. Possible research topics include:
- Neural network accelerator design space exploration;
- Design of domain specific architectures;
- Automatic code generation for neural network accelerators;
- Machine learning applied to compiler problems.
The application process is highly competitive. Please only contact me if you have :
- A high interest in conducting system research;
- Strong programming skills;
- Good knowledge of Linux/Unix;
- A high CGPA (average grade) of at least 3.8/4.0 (see equivalence for international applicants).
How to contact me
Before applying formally, feel free to contact me by email.
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: “Prospective student for a position in your group”
- Specify if you are interested to do a MSc, PhD or undergrad internship/project
- Are you a local or international student?
- For international students, do you have your TOEFL (or equivalent) and/or GRE results?
- What attracts you to systems research?
- When would you be able to join?
- Short research statement (1-2 pages)
- MSc and/or undergrad research thesis/report
- Transcripts from undergrad/MSc (no need for official documents at this stage)
- Any publications you may have
- TOEFL/IELTS/… English test scores (if available)
- GRE results (if available)
Official application information:
Given that I am affiliated with two departments, your official applications will be made to either CS or ECE depending on your research topic. More information can be found by following these links:
- School of Computer Science: https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/academic/graduate/admission/
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering: https://mcgill.ca/ece/graduate/graduate
Once we have discussed your application by email, and potentially via a conference call, please apply through the McGill application website in one of the two departments, selecting me as your preferred supervisor. Note that the deadlines are different in these two departments and for International and Canadian students.
The deadlines for international students requiring financial support are:
- CS: January 1st for Fall admission & September 1st for Winter admission
- ECE: December 15 for Fall admission & August 1st for Winter admission